Songwriter, singer, poet, guitarist, observer, participant, some-time philosopher and love addict. Not necessarily in that order.

Sunday 22 May 2011

Jean Patou, champagne, travel guitars, a hat and a million baby ducks...

May 22, 2011

So here I sit in provincial France, typing away on my beloved mac. It’s truly stunning here. The house we are staying in is big and bohemian, with wooden shutters that open onto a beautiful canal – I’ve never seen so many baby ducks in my life!

And it is silent here except for the birds, the odd rogue fly that’s found its way indoors and the sound of one of my more enthusiastic companions yelling ‘bonjour’ at every barge that goes past. We had champagne at 11am and I’ve finally had the opportunity to wear a rather beautiful hat I bought a while back and never got the chance to sport – I’m totally in love with it. Want a million hats now!

The only true negative is that, being an old house (I’d guess about 300 years old but I’m no historian), the doorframes are extremely low. In truth I think I might have concussed myself in the middle of the night whilst trying to find a glass of water. And stupidly I didn’t bring mosquito repellent with me - luckily I found some in a drawer. However, I’d say from the packaging that it was a relic from sometime in the late 60s and just one squirt is so pungent it’s sure to kill every insect in the northern hemisphere. Not even Jean Patou can save me now.

But my travel guitar made it in one piece and I’ve figured out how to work the coffee machine. So the essentials have been covered…

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment