Songwriter, singer, poet, guitarist, observer, participant, some-time philosopher and love addict. Not necessarily in that order.

Wednesday 1 June 2011

Dior, ashes, umbrella hats, boxed wine and bad moods.

1 June 2011

Am sitting by the pool in Paros. I’m tired and grumpy despite the beauty of the place. I’m not sure whether my mood is a result of the fact that I just paid five euros for a glass of wine that came out of a box or that I’m not allowed to flush loo roll here. Sorry, I know that makes me sound like the most hideous of spoilt tourists, but I don’t care. I don’t like it.

That said, we’re incredibly close to a little place called Noussa (not sure of the spelling) that’s charming and just a little bit stunning – last night, just after we arrived, we watched the sun set over the harbour and it was just so peaceful. I’ve been surprised by how empty this island is, but perhaps it’s the season. So yes, here I sit with my boxed wine in front of a beautiful bright blue pool and looking out onto a stunning view of the sea. I really have no right to be grumpy. But I’m a woman and an artist – surely being vaguely irrational and moody is my prerogative?

Mykonos was amazing. I really didn’t expect to like it as everyone kept referring to it as ‘the party island’ – I took this to mean ‘the island where people wander around continually sun burnt and drunk, in skirts that are way too short with bellies hanging out over them, screaming at the top of their lungs and vomiting in the streets’. But I was wrong. It was fantastic. Had the best pina coladas ever in Little Venice right on the water and even managed to find my Dior lipstick. Brilliant. And I could put loo paper in the loo there. Priceless.

So am working on my tan (actually I’m sitting in the shade, under a hat so big it has already been referred to as an ‘umbrella’ by a local well-meaning man), reading a bit, playing a lot of guitar and writing this blog. Next stop is Santorini and I’m there for two and a half weeks. I met someone in Mykonos who goes to Santorini every year to visit his partner’s ashes – they’re in a Cathedral set half in the mountain and half outside. He was a Pisces and his partner was an Aquarius and they lasted 35 years. There was something so touching about the way he spoke of it all. Anyway we’re supposed to be going to dinner on the 12th but I think I forgot his details in Mykonos (along with half my luggage).

I think it’s an eclipse tomorrow. There are three in a row coming. Hope it means brill things!!!

Ta-ta…

xxxx

The grumpy blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment