Songwriter, singer, poet, guitarist, observer, participant, some-time philosopher and love addict. Not necessarily in that order.

Friday 16 December 2011

Christmas cheer, sailing and a new album on its way...


So, I have written a new album: on a piano from 1890, with yellowed keys that have been rounded by the years of wear and tear. I remember this piano from my grandmother’s house in Africa. She used to keep a small jar of mints on the top of it and one time I stole one – that was the first and last time I stole anything ever, the guilt was so unbearable (hearts don’t count – joking). And now here it is in my garden flat in Australia, still in one piece, still tuneable (if a little imperfectly), the words “John Broadwood & Sons, London” still perfectly painted in gold. It hasn’t chipped off one bit.

And not only have I written a new album of songs, but I’m actually RECORDING said album in January. Which will be fab, fab, fab. I can’t wait.  Really excited to get back into the studio and even more excited to get them down before I write new ones and discard them (this happens all too often).

In other news I have been learning to sail which is a) breathtakingly beautiful when done at sunset and b) way more hard work than I anticipated. I love it, more than I ever could have expected. There is something about it that is completely addictive. And frankly, I think Perth has more boats than people so it’s the perfect place to learn.

Hmm, what else, someone told me a bit of trivia the other evening: apparently the term OK came from the Vietnam war – apparently it came from a board where they would notate how many men had been killed each day: zero killed = 0K (the ‘o’ being for zero and the ‘k’ being for killed). Thought that was kind of cool and interesting, not sure if it’s true…

And I can’t wait till Christmas. I want a real Christmas tree. And tinsel. And egg nog. And snow. Am thinking I’m in the wrong hemisphere…

My song ‘Just Five Minutes’ was a top 25 finalist in the Australian Song of the Year competition, that was kind of cool. Another one, ‘Lighthouse’, that will be on the new album was also shortlisted.

Going to see a film tonight entitled ‘The Future’. It’s about a couple who decide to spend a month living a completely free life and letting fate/serendipity lead them (at least that’s what I think it’s about, will be a grave disappointment if I’m wrong!). The key theme reminds me of that book ‘The Unbearable Lightness of Being’. Loved that book – you know, the whole which-is-more-painful-weight-or-lightness question…anyway, I digress. It is at an outdoor cinema and there will be wine. So all fab.

Hope you all have a fantastic Christmas and New Year and will be back in the New Year!

Pippa xx

No comments:

Post a Comment